Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Remodeling with Glass

For those of you who have been following my blog, you know I typically write about my new projects and give tips.  Well, my "projects" have focused on remodeling rather than fusing but even so, there's still some glass to be found....

We purchased place that was built in 1980 with 2 1/2 baths, none of which had been updated. One of the things that I was excited to find were all the glass tiles available.  And, of course, because I'm a glass enthusiast, I couldn't just have a standard glass subway tile -- I wanted colors and textures.  Here's a number of close-ups of the glass that I picked out and then a photo of what it installed in the room.

Power Room



Guest Bathroom




Master Bathroom



Kitchen



I know some people used their own fused glass as part of their home decor whether it's in the form of backsplash tiles or drawer knobs and pulls.  Because of the extensive scope of our project and the fact that we were living in an apartment (with no fusing capabilities) while all the work was being done, we elected to go with tiles that could be purchased at a tile store or online...and it's amazing how many glass tiles are available!

However, I did help out a bit with the cutting of some of the tiles.  The mosaic tiles in our kitchen were quite thin (4mm) and our tiler had a difficult time cutting these (without breaking) for the narrower areas.  So, I just got out the old scorer and breaking pliers.  Then, of course, I had to grind off the flares as the tiles were pretty narrow.

Since I wasn't fusing, it was great to have an alternative creative outlet.  However, unlike making a plate or a bowl, there's a bigger commitment to color selection when you're purchasing 42 square feet of tile and adhering it to your walls.

I know glass tiles may be a trend that will later be associated with a period of time.  But for someone who loves glass, I'll be happy to have as much glass as possible around me :)

Let me know what you think and if you've experimented with glass tiles.

Note: this will be the last of the non-fusing blog posts for a while as I'll be getting back to fusing soon!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you "LYNN HOLMAN" that glass tiles are now in trending. Also, it's true that cutting a glass tile and install it in a proper way is the hardest task. However, these tiles are really giving a smart look to any room. There are so many stores are providing this glass tiles to us in everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always amazing what a difference glass has made! It looks much better now! Good wishes from, http://www.mikefitzpatrick.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing... I was always having confusion that glass can be a good option for interior, but your post helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete